• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Simple Living

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_p

Bluelighter
so Ive been trying to live simpler ~ in an effort to have less environmental impact

just wondering if anyone out there is on this path ?

as I live by myself, I am no longer using the fridge (it was barely ever full, such a waste of energy)

so thus, I'm starting to eat much simpler, raw'er type foods ...

I've turned off the hot-water (this is almost HALF of most peoples electricity bill) and now just swim in the creek nearby for washes)

living next to a lush wetland.. anything i wash down the drain goes straight into this precious eco-system... I don't wash my hair/or use any 'cleaning' products except earth friendly

any ideas ? anyone out there doing similar stuff ?

I put this in Healthy Living coz i see the health of the earth directly related to my own health

:)

Hippie. j/k. Seriously though, I feel you. I went down to 2 pairs of jeans and just black or grey shirts to eliminate to clutter of choice. Limiting your "palate" can be refreshing no matter what you do.

haahha.. ... well its a really clean fresh water creek

i live in the tropics btw, so its quite nice/refreshing

I've turned off the hot-water (this is almost HALF of most peoples electricity bill) and now just swim in the creek nearby for washes)

lol i love it

lol,

somebody actually wiki-ed simple living hahaha.
i live in manila where it's usually hot. lately it's been really cold so we stopped using the ac.
i wish there's a creek to bathe in here...

i think you're doing a good thing, keep at it babe! :D

I think this is really cool. It's defiantly a goal of mine to edge closer and closer to a simpler life. I just like the idea of being more self sufficient and less damaging to the planet. You should start a garden and grow your own produce! You're lucky you live in the tropics, I'm from New England, it's so cold up here right now I shuddered when you said you said you bathed in a creek! :)

^ I do that in the creek too

(~O~)

hhaha.. .nahhh just kiddin' ~ I do my washing in town.. .but if wasn't so lazy i could definitely just wash my clothes in a bucket~

and hey, Gwelymernans.. you are spot on, by growing our own produce we reduce our ecological footprint greatly ~ I'm away every now and then so its not possible to do the whole vegie garden thing (though i have one, just not very big)

and i'm lucky here coz there are heap of fruit trees from the previous owners ~ avocado, jakfruit, black sapote, lychees, mangoes, Rollinia, Soursop

... one day it'd be great to own some land and grow a fruit forest~ and a mandala vegie garden

HEY, i love that simple living wiki link.. didn't realize it was actually a real 'thing' .... its so true ... it IS a richer way of living ... but don't think i'm quite there yet... one day

any more ideas people ?
definitely should put more effort into the garden~

^
HEY, i love that simple living wiki link.. didn't realize it was actually a real 'thing' .... its so true ... it IS a richer way of living ... but don't think i'm quite there yet... one day

Never underestimate wikipedia... %)

Nevermind mr p I now know where you live :p
Good thread, will post something later. Dtergent would have tons of stuff to share here!

I am all about engineering our technology, society and lives to work harmoneously for humans, other life and the planet to sustain life for a fucking long time. No need to go without hot water, go with less. Use solar heat. Only head water as you use it. And use it sparingly.

I currently live in a trailer on well water. Everything I flush goes back into the ground untreated so I avoid anything toxic or non bio-degradable.

It is kind of cold here so not having hot water is a major sacrifice. We did it for a week before our propane was hooked up, it sucked. If I lived in the tropics however it would be a non issue for sure. One idea is filling water jugs (painted black) with water and putting them in the sun. You can use them to bath.

Otherwise, I try to limit animal products, driving, wasteful activities etc. Not saying that I'm good at this, but its a start :)

Animals poop in creeks, by bathing in them you are actually cleaning them by taking out the poop on your skin!

Status
Not open for further replies.